About Create Change Chesterfield

Create Change Chesterfield is a movement led by Clare Gage. It aims to create a community of changemakers in Chesterfield to support positive action in our town.

Methodology
Creativity and participation are key. 
Create Change is event based. We bring the community together for inclusive, creative events that aim to empower people to create change. The focus is on participatory techniques so that everyone's voice is heard. 
Create Change is developing a feedback led model so that at every stage we listen to the community to direct our activity. 

A note from Clare:
This movement has grown from my hope to create a positive change in our world. I wanted to reach out to others to talk about how we could all create change in our own way. 
I've led with both ideas and action. Each step in the project has led to new learnings. I've set up this blog to record how things have happened and share the learnings.

I am interested in deliberative democracy as a way to create a better sense of involvement in our democracy. I look to it as a way to better empower citizens. 
I’ve brought aspects of this into the Create Change Chesterfield events that I have organised.
My initial hope was that if I could create an opportunity for people in Chesterfield to experience aspects of deliberative democracy they may become advocates for it. At each event I have explained the concept of deliberative democracy. Participants are then able to experience aspects of the deliberation and participatory techniques. It is then left to them to think about whether they believe it has a power to improve our democracy. (read the blogs to see how this has worked out.) 

How to use this blog
Before Create Change Chesterfield I would have described myself as a mum and as a designer/maker/teacher of pottery. (Check out claregage.com to understand that side of things)
Now I have an extra experience in my life, it has been an unexpected twist! To understand the full story of Create Change Chesterfield you can use this blog- start with the first blog post and see how the action and ideas have progressed.
Alternatively pick a post that looks interesting and dive in. If you're searching for context then remember the whole story is here, from the initial spark of an idea.

Create Our Future
Create Our Future is a project which grew as a response to the Coronavirus emergency. The idea grew and developed and became a project looking for funding. I brought together a team of RSA Fellows and staff around the idea. Lots of learning and development work took place! For now (2022) the project is ticking along in the background...to be revisited when the moment arises!

About the RSA
Find out more here www.thersa.org

I've been a Fellow of the RSA for over 10 years (through my pottery designs and the RSA Student Design Awards) and I've seen the inspiring ideas the RSA has for creating change in our world. Create Change Chesterfield has been supported by the RSA.





Comments