A key conversation

In the spirit of sharing my journey completely and honestly here is an explanation of a key conversation that shaped the direction of Create Change...
Early Autumn 2018. I was struggling to find momentum to bring my vision for the Create Change event to life. I think I was looking for a bit of hand holding. Abigail Campbell RSA Area Manager for the Central region was hugely encouraging and supportive and had taken steps to help organise the event. However, Abigail has so much going on and without drive from me I felt like we were loosing momentum and I was unsure how we would bring the event to life.
In steps my sister in law and coach extraordinaire, Miriam Gosling. She encouraged me towards the leadership role that changed everything. "Take the lead." She said. "Take ownership."

Here is what I wrote to Abigail:

Ooh interesting idea. I've had a thought as well...it's a bit of a change but...well I've got my reasons (and I've listed them, because I can't resist a list!)
I think I'd like to see if we could hold the event here in Chesterfield. Here are my reasons

Reasons for holding it in Chesterfield:
I’d like to really take ownership of the event- to embed it in my community and reach out to the people locally who I know can support it.
PROS
-Our target audience is people who can’t see an opportunity to get involved in these type of activities and there are already many of these opportunities in Nottingham itself. I think it is important to bring things out further from the cities, to the people who see less of this type of inspirational activity happening
-Although it may reduce the number of active Fellows who live within a short distance these people aren’t actually our target audience- (although we’d like them to come along to support it) I’m more keen for people who don’t know about the RSA to find out about it
-It supports one of my initial ideas of finding a way to create a blueprint event- something that could be held in other towns by other Fellows.
-Would reduce venue costs!
-Trains from london are nice and direct for the speakers
-I have local connections for both childcare and children’s theatre. Also know good venues and have lots of connection for publicity and interested groups

What do you think?

Of course Abigail agreed. (Huge thanks to Abigail who has been wonderfully encouraging and supportive in all of this!) And I started to tentatively step into the leadership role which I still hold gently today.

Comments