Inspiration, and other ARTSY words

In January I organised a Create Change event called Inspiration for Action 2020

I love the word 'inspiration' To me it sounds exciting and full of potential. As an artist I know the power of an inspiring experience. It can create an explosion of ideas and creativity. 
Inspiration fuels an artist's work. Without it we loose energy. 
I see opportunities for inspiration in all sorts of experiences, often unconnected with the particular craft I'm working on at that time. (if you know my work you see that I couldn't keep the textiles inspiration out of the pottery studio!)

Create Change is about taking action to make our society better. I can't help but bring creativity to this! This has come in the form of craft, music and poetry but it also comes in the form of creative thinking
The art, craft, music and poetry are the inspiration that fuels our creative thinking. They allow us to embrace new experiences and to try new ways of thinking.

This might sound strange and a little uncomfortable to many people. I've realised that my love of 'artsy' words could be quite off putting! For many people opportunities to explore art are stopped half way through secondary school. Many people tell me that they aren't arty, can't draw and haven't done anything creative since their last art class in year 9 at school. So no wonder they see my artsy language as alien.

I think inspiration can fuel the community of changemakers involved in social action. Inspiring experiences would set of an explosion of ideas as well as fuelling the energy needed to create change. This might be a new idea to some people, and that's ok: Create Change is here to deliver new experiences and create new outcomes.

Comments