Creativity during Coronavirus: writing a blog for The RSA...and then having an idea

As Create Change Chesterfield has gone quiet for a while during this Coronavirus crisis I have been inspired by the community spirit we can see around our town. There is so much to say on the current situation but I have managed to say one thing...
I have written a blog for The RSA is about how creativity could help us build bridges to the future. 
I was invited to write this blog by Matthew Taylor the chief executive of The RSA. His suggested topic was to write something about the art and cultural response to the coronavirus. This came about because I happened to say something on this topic on a Zoom meeting (I am now a Fellowship Councillor for The RSA so was part of their Fellowship Council meeting in early March). I felt pleased but also challenged by the idea of writing this, for a couple of reasons; I am by no means the most expert voice on this topic within The RSA, should it really be me that writes this? (I only happened to be given the 'job' by accident really.) Also, what would I say that wasn't already being said in other places online? I could see that there had been an outpouring of creativity online and in people's lives since we went into Coronavirus lockdown, but documenting this would not be enough for me. I really wanted to dig a little deeper and see if I could find something to say that moved ideas forward somehow.
I have been reading/rereading 3 books which influenced my thinking; Sohie Walker's 5 Rules for Rebellion which made me think more about my ideas around how everyone could be a changemaker. Sarah Corbett's How to Be A Craftivist which reignited ideas around using creative activities to get people thinking about changing the world, and Be More Pirate by Sam Conniff- encouraging me to be brave and make good trouble. 
Alongside this The RSA had started a new podcast called Bridges to the Future: Responses to Covid-19 where Matthew Taylor asks, how could – and how should – the world change when this pandemic is over?
These influences all came together when I was writing. You can read the blog here
The next thing that came out of this was an idea 💡 The RSA have set up a Wazoku page to capture any ideas from the Fellowship and support us to help them come to life. I decided to write up the idea and doing that made it come to life a little bit more.
If you'd like to read more about the idea follow this link
https://rsa.wazoku.com/…
It's just an idea for now, who knows where it will go. What do you think? ðŸ’¡ðŸŒˆ
Read more here 



Comments