Create Change Chesterfield during the Coronavirus crisis

2020 has not been the year that I expected, or that anyone expected.

I began 2020 with a moment of inspiration for the Create Change Chesterfield community. In my welcome message I spoke about finding opportunities to work collaboratively with our fellow citizens. Well, in some ways 2020 has offered these in many surprising ways. We've seen a swell in community activity, throughout lockdown and beyond. Creative approaches to connecting with each other have led to virtual gatherings being explored in ways that I can't imagine we would have stumbled upon in any other way. But there are also huge challenges. Some people may feel more connected while others may feel more alone than before. 

Where does Create Change Chesterfield go now?

I've been finding it hard to settle on an answer for where Create Change Chesterfield fits within the whirlwind of experiences that is 2020. I feel a sense of movement. In our own homes we are all spinning and settling, spinning and settling as we search for direction only to see something new appearing in front of us. 

I've been waiting for a moment of calm, waiting for a path to appear in front of me, but as a write this I wonder if this movement is what we need to support, and perhaps encourage? After all, movement is needed to create change

Designing a new experience

The previous Create Change events have been big, community gatherings. There was fantastic energy from coming together in that way. I hoped to used them as a big push. That style of action wont work in the times we currently live in. 

I have been working on another RSA project which I've called Create Our Future. This could have a role in where we go next with Create Change Chesterfield but it has a journey in front of it which will take a while for it to be fully brought to life. 

So it's time for a redesign session! Everything I do comes from creativity. So it looks like it's time to think creativity about this challenge.

Keeping to the core values

It's a time to visit the core ideas behind Create Change Chesterfield. This project has always been about empowering people to create change. I am interested in deliberative democracy as a way to create a better sense of involvement in our democracy. I look to it as a way to better empower citizens. The Create Change Chesterfield events have been opportunities to explore these ideas. Any new methods need to deliver on these core ideas.

So what now?

A good question! I think it is worth considering a reframing of Create Change Chesterfield. Away from big, community gatherings (the big push method) and on to something different...a quick spin of energy to give direction to the movement we are all experiencing. More thinking to be done here! 


Share your ideas with me if you like the sound of this

Comments